Fennel and *Chicken* Soup
• One huge carrot or several small (about a cup), cut into coins/moons
• 2 ribs celery sliced into moons
• ~2+ C chopped fennel. Use stalks 1st, then however much of bulb, cut into coins/moons.
Use as much fern part as you want.
• 2 small shallots diced
• 2 TB olive oil
• Black pepper to taste
• 1 bay leaf
• Dash of garlic powder
• 2 C wagon wheel pasta
• Chicken or turkey (I used pre-cooked light meat turkey) About 2 cups or 1 package
• 3 cans low sodium chicken broth plus 1 3/4 cups water
2TB olive oil in the bottom of a dutch oven or heavy pot.
Saute carrot, celery, fennel and shallot in oil until they begin to soften.
Add chicken stock and bay leaf and let simmer (covered) 5 minutes. Add pasta with additional water and semi cover. Allow to simmer until pasta is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
Add meat at the end and let simmer together for a minute or two.
Served with crusty bread. Any and all substitutions encouraged ;)
Serves about 5?